Monday, March 4, 2013

Thing #5

Steve Hargardon mentioned in his blog that web 2.0 will have a greater impact on the world than the printing press. As a history major, I scoffed at this claim, but then I realized how true it might be. Social media has been a huge part of world events, such as the Arab Spring revolts and the 2012 elections. Web 2.0 is also the future for education; it's a wonderful tool to enhance learning and comprehension, but I feel that it's now less of a tool and more of a complete way of life. I love technology, but I think that we as a society have become too dependent on it, and this spills into education. While technology can be a great learning tool, I'm afraid that too much emphasis will be put on adapting to new technology rather than having it as an enhancer for the material. It is my philosophy that education should be simple and clear, and technology can add unnecessary complexities.

While we may be the "smartest" generation in terms of technological advances, we're also the laziest and the dumbest. Technology  A lot of people are having a harder time reading traditional clocks because they rely on their cell phones to tell time. Social skills have plummeted due to texting. Maps will become obsolete due to GPS devices; when I was in elementary school, we learned how to find cities on maps using the grid system, but now I doubt that they do that in schools these days. Soon, no one will know how to read one because everyone relies on Tom-Toms to get them from point A to point B.

I think technology is wonderful, but it does not make a good substitute for knowledge and common sense. Children should learn how to read from books, not from Kindles. We should teach our students cursive handwriting, not depend on typing. Technology should never be at the forefront of education, but aid students in learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment