Monday, April 29, 2013

Thing #15

In school (and even today in college), I am told to STAY AWAY FROM WIKIPEDIA, and any non-academic website, but I never listen. I love Wikipedia, and it's been a staple in my education since middle school. Although it's true that not all of the information is accurate, it's pretty easy to tell what's true and what is just trolling. Therefore, since I've been told time and time again to stay away from Wikis, I was surprised that this exercise encouraged me to use them.

I knew there were other Wikis out there based on TV shows, movies, music, etc., but I didn't know that educators used them. I think it would be cool to have a classroom Wiki and to have the students add onto the Sandbox. I would make it an assignment for my history students. I would assign them a time period or an event, and it would be their job to add onto the Wiki. It could be used as a study guide for tests and final exams. I think it's cool for students to collaborate together on a website. If academics can collaborate on thesis papers, why can't students collaborate on the Internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment