Friday, April 19, 2013

Thing #12

Google is the best website! It's so efficient and user-friendly, and they have so many great applications like Google Earth.

I decided to use Google Translate and Google Calendar. I absolutely love Translate! I have some Vietnamese relatives on Facebook, and I copy and paste their statuses to Translate to see what they're saying. I also like to type in funny phrases and translate them into different languages. Most languages have an audio option so you can hear it being spoken in that language, which is really neat. I like to see what my name sounds like in different languages, and the pronunciation is very, very different, especially in Dutch; it sounds like "Mohawn."

I'm a very disorganized person, unfortunately, and I never messed around with Calendar, but now that I have, I think I'll use it. It will definitely help me keep things organized better than a planner, because I always seem to lose them or never use it at all. I made a birthday calendar for all of my friends and family. I know when everyone's birthday is, but it often sneaks up on me and I have to scramble to get a gift or card at the last minute, so it will definitely be useful for me. Google Calendar has an alert system, so you can get an alert for a birthday on your phone days in advance. Now I don't have an excuse to send off belated birthday cards! :)




https://www.google.com/calendar/render?pli=1&gsessionid=vfkW6HTuvbhyjlu93KUJ6A

The educational possibilities are endless. For Translate, it's always helpful to hear how things are pronounced in their own language, so in my history class, we can see how a certain name or town is pronounced so we can say it correctly in the classroom (I HATE mispronouncing things, so this is very helpful for me as a teacher because I don't want to mispronounce it and look stupid). For Calendar, you can make it public and have your students see what the agenda is for the day and what is due. Google is a website of endless potential and possibilities, and it will definitely be a cornerstone for my class!

No comments:

Post a Comment